top of page
Rings on Hands
Sponsor your Spouse / Partner
Canada Student Visa
Spousal / Common Law Partner Sponsorship

Are you a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident? If yes, then you may be able to sponsor your spouse, conjugal or common-law partner, child (including an adopted child) or other eligible relative to become a permanent resident under one of the family classes. Your family member will receive Permanent resident status and they will be able to live, study and work in Canada.

At Vibe Immigration, we have significant amount of experience assisting Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their family members to immigrate to Canada. We have in-depth knowledge of the requirements that need to be met and a comprehensive understanding of the documents that need to be provided to IRCC. Given the stringent requirements of the Sponsorship application, it is extremely important to provide a complete package at the initial submission to avoid delays and/or return of an incomplete application package. Our extensive experience in dealing with family class sponsorship allows us to assist our clients with preparing complete and accurate applications to sponsor their loved-ones to Canada.



You can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent child to immigrate to Canada whether they live inside or outside Canada.


To successfully  sponsor a spouse, partner or child for Permanent Residence you must qualify as a sponsor.  You must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident;

  • Be at least 18 years old;

  • Live in Canada or if you are a citizen, then you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a Permanent Resident;

  • Satisfy Quebec specific laws regarding sponsorship if you live in Quebec; and

  • Be able to prove that you have enough income to provide basic needs of the person or people that you are sponsoring.

You cannot be a sponsor if you:

  • Were sponsored by a spouse or partner and became a Permanent Resident less than five years ago;

  • Were sponsored by a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a Permanent Resident;

  • Are in default of a previous sponsorship undertaking;

  • Are in the process of a bankruptcy proceeding;

  • Receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability;

  • Were convicted of a violent or sexual offence or are in jail;

  • Are under a removal order; or

  • Have already applied to sponsor your current spouse, partner or child and a decision has not yet been made.


If you are applying to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner and they are already living with you in Canada, then you may have a choice to apply under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Under this class, there is a possibility that your partner could apply for an open work permit if he or she has valid temporary resident status. It also has disadvantages, such as the absence of any right to appeal a negative decision to the Immigration Appeal Division.


Vibe Immigration can help you choose the class that is best for your family.

bottom of page