top of page
Image by Freddy Castro
Did you know your Spouse could be eligible for an Open Work Permit?
Canada Student Visa
Spouse Open Work Permit
Spouses or common-law partners of full-time students with a valid study permit or having a valid work permit may apply for an open work permit.
An open work permit will enable the spouse or common-law partner of the international student / worker to work in Canada. Your spouse/partner will not require a job offer to apply, and his/her permit will be valid for the same period as your study/work permit. This is an excellent way for your spouse or your common-law partner to connect with the local community, gain valuable work experience and earn extra money. 
  • Your spouse or your common-law partner can apply for a work permit after you arrive to Canada. 
  • It is also possible to apply for the spouse/common-law partner work permit at the same time as applying for your initial study permit outside of Canada. 
  • Your minor child/children may also study without a study permit at the preschool, primary, or secondary level. Children accompanying an adult who is in Canada on a work or study permit may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.

Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for an open work permit if you:

  • are a full-time student at a:

    • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec

    • private college-level school in Quebec or

    • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree) and

  • have a valid study permit.

  • have a valid work permit and you are a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B approved to work in Canada six months or longer

  • are a Permanent Resident and are sponsoring your spouse (Spousal sponsorship) who is in Canada

bottom of page